Looking for inspiration to hit the road? I have put together some of the best road trip quotes to inspire you to get in your car and drive! Whether on your own, with friends or with family, these quotes will motivate you to take that road trip you have always wanted to take.
Road Trip Quotes
I love road trips. Unlike trips by airplane, train or boat, one of the great things about road trips is that you don’t need to make plans too far in advance if you don’t want to. You can always jump in your car and drive and see where the road takes you. You can be spontaneous instead of having to catch a flight but if you prefer to plan your trips you can do that too. You can do a quick weekend getaway or you can plan an epic cross country road trip. Even if you are flying to another continent, you can always rent a car or campervan while you are there, explore your destination at your own pace and visit more off the beaten path places that you would otherwise miss.
I hope you enjoy these inspiring road trip quotes.
1. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
2. ”Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” — Jack Kerouac
3. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by.” Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost
4. “Still, round the corner, there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
5. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
6. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
7. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “I climb behind the steering wheel… I drive off immediately without once looking back; it’s a long journey but it leads to freedom.” – Corinne Hofmann
9. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure. You have no idea of what is in store for you, but you will, if you are wise and know the art of travel, let yourself go on the stream of the unknown.” – Freya Stark
10. “I just go with the flow, I follow the yellow brick road. I don’t know where it’s going to lead me, but I follow it.” – Grace Jones
11. “I take to the open road, healthy, free, the world before me.” – Walt Whitman
12. “God made the world round so we would never be able to see too far down the road.” – Isak Dinesen
13. “Driving at night is about communicating with lights.” – Lukhman Pambra
14.“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.” – Douglas Adams
15. “Never underestimate the therapeutic power of driving and listening to very loud music.” — Unknown
16. “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
17. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac
18. “Road trips are the equivalent of human wings. Ask me to go on one, anywhere. We’ll stop in every small town and learn the history and stories, feel the ground and capture the spirit. Then we’ll turn it into our own story that will live inside our history to carry with us, always. Because stories are more important than things.” – Victoria Erickson
19. “Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.” – Izaak Walton
20. “What it takes to realize everything is fine around you? A road trip to the mountains where your soul dwells in the echoes of the winds that carry fragments of clouds with them. What it takes to realize world is going back to chaos and infinite hurry? End of the aforementioned road trip.” – Crestless Wave
21. “If you’re on a road trip, you need driving music.” – Edgar Wright
22. “Part of us believes the new car is better because it lasts longer. But, in fact, that’s the worst thing about the new car. It will stay around to disappoint you, whereas a trip to Europe is over. It evaporates. It has the good sense to go away, and you are left with nothing but a wonderful memory.” – Daniel Gilbert
23. “Road trips required a couple of things: a well-balanced diet of caffeine, salt and sugar and an excellent selection of tunes—oh, and directions.” – Jenn McKinlay
24. “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.” — Emma Chase
25. “Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.” – Jerry Seinfeld
26. “A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting new places.” – Tom Lichtenheld
27. “We all have that one friend who is either on a road-trip or planning a road-trip or thinking about a road-trip or talking to people who are on road-trip or posting quotes about road-trip.” – Crestless Wave
28. “I’m on the road constantly. I’m a nomad. I don’t really have a home right now. I don’t identify with one place in particular.” – Daya
29. “Map out your future – but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.” – Jon Bon Jovi
30. “Now, on this road trip, my mind seemed to uncrinkle, to breathe, to present to itself a cure for a disease it had not, until now, known it had.” – Elizabeth Berg
31. “A passenger on a road journey is in the hands of a driver; a reader embarking on a book is in the hands of a narrator.” – Romesh Gunesekera
32. “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous and absolutely liberating.” – Aaron Lauritsen
33. “I love road trips. You get into this Zen rhythm; throw the sense of time out the window.” – Miriam Toews
34. “I love being on the road. I love that lifestyle, traveling city to city, rocking out and moving on to the next place.” – Caleb Johnson
35. “Wherever you get to is better than where you started. To stay on the road is a massive achievement.” – Anthony Joshua
36. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote, To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
37. “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to take.” – Angela N. Blount
38. “Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road.” – Walt Whitman
39. “That’s why I love road trips, dude. It’s like doing something without actually doing anything.” – John Green
40. “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.” – Brad Paisley
41. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon
42. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” – Bob Marley
43. “You know more of a road by having traveled it than by all the conjectures and descriptions in the world.” – William Hazlitt
44. “The road is there, it will always be there. You just have to decide when to take it.” – Chris Humphrey
45. “When all’s said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it’s not so much which road you take, as how you take it.” – Charles de Lint
Do you find quotes about going on the road inspiring? What do you think are the best road trips quotes?
Looking for more travel inspiration? We have more quotes to inspire you to explore our world:
- Inspirational Travel Quotes to Fuel Your Wanderlust
- Adventure Quotes to Inspire You To Explore Our World
Still need some inspiration to fuel your wanderlust? Check out our list of 45 of the Best Travel Books That Inspire Wanderlust.
Ready to hit the road? Check out our road trip packing list to make sure you have all your road trip essentials before you go.
Save this to Pinterest!