Planning a trip to Australia and not sure where to start? I’ve got you covered with this epic guide containing 50+ of the best things to do and places to visit which are perfect for any Australian Travel Bucket List. Some of these are places I have visited and things I have experienced myself and the rest are places, experiences and adventures that I have researched and added to my personal Australia bucket list.
Australia Travel Bucket List Ideas
Australian Capital Territory Bucket List
- Visit Canberra, the capital city of Australia. It is only a 3 hour drive from Sydney.
New South Wales Bucket List
- See the iconic Sydney Opera House. It is incredible from the outside but I recommend a tour of the inside or experiencing an opera performance.
- Climb to the top of the Sydney bridge. This is a really popular activity so it is best to reserve in advance.
- Take a short ferry (approximately 30 minutes) from Circular Quay to Manly Beach for great views of the Sydney Harbour, Opera House and Bridge from the water.
- Spend a few hours at Bondi Beach, the most famous beach in Australia.
- Do the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk, one of the most beautiful and scenic walks in Sydney.
- Explore the spectacular Blue Mountains. You can easily visit on a day tour from Sydney.
- Relax in Byron Bay, Australia’s famous surf and arts town. Learn how to surf or go kayaking with dolphins.
- Enjoy the laidback, hippy vibe of the alternative town of Nimbin.
Northern Territory Bucket List
- See Ayers Rock (Uluru) at sunset. Visitors are no longer be allowed to climb Uluru but you can walk around the base or do a helicopter tour.
- Visit Kings Canyon. You can follow the rim of the canyon along the 3-hour circuit walk and descend into the green oasis of the ‘Garden of Eden’. You can visit on a day tour from Ayers Rock Resort.
- Hike around the soaring rock domes of Kata Tjuta / The Olgas at sunset and watch them glow and change color with the surrounding desert landscape.
- Valley of the Winds a 3 hour walk. Click here to book a tour.
- Visit Alice Springs (also known as “the Alice” or “Alice”). You can also enjoy the views of the outback on a balloon ride.
- Visit the West MacDonnell Ranges. Book a day tour from Alice Springs.
- Visit the historic town of Hermannsburg and its Aboriginal art collection.
- Visit Finke Gorge National Park and enjoy the beautiful rock formations of Palm Valley.
- Visit Darwin, the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory.
- Explore Litchfield National Park. You can visit on a day tour from Darwin.
- Explore the natural wilderness of the Katherine Gorge on a 14-hour scenic tour from Darwin.
- Explore Kakadu National Park.
Queensland Bucket List
- Visit Yeppoon a beachside destination which offers fun activities such as sailing and kayaking, the mysterious Capricorn Caves and the beautiful Great Keppel Island white sand and exceptional snorkelling.
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef.
- Explore Daintree National Park, the planet’s oldest surviving rainforest.
- Take the Kuranda Scenic Railway through the rainforest to Kuranda.
- Fly over the rainforest in Skyrail Rainforest Cableway. Pick up your combo pass for the Skyrail and Scenic railway here.
- Get close to koalas at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane, the world’s oldest and largest koala sanctuary.
- Visit Moreton Bay Marine Park, where bottlenose dolphins play and dugongs feed on sea grasses among the giant loggerhead turtles.
- Go sandboarding at Tangalooma, Moreton Island.
- Visit Fraser Island known for its 75-mile long beach which is one of the longest in the world.
- Explore Whitehaven Beach in The Whitsundays, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with blue green waters and white sand.
South Australia Bucket List
- Visit Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia, and the fifth-most populous city of Australia. Read: 2 Days in Adelaide Itinerary & Travel Guide (According to a Local)
- Go wine tasting at the Barossa Valley Wine region.
- See wildlife, including koalas, wallabies and kangaroos, on Kangaroo Island.
- Explore the beautiful Eyre Peninsula. You can even swim with sea lions.
- Visit Coober Pedy, a small town that is mostly underground.
Tasmania Bucket List
- Enjoy the amazing views from the Wineglass Bay lookout at Freycinet National Park.
- Take a cruise on Wineglass Bay.
- Explore Hobart, the capital of Tasmania.
- Climb to the summit of Mount Wellington for panoramic views over Hobart.
- Explore the beauty of Mt. Field National Park. Don’t miss the famous Russell Falls.
- Visit Tasmanian Devils and hand feed kangaroos at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. You can visit on a half-day tour from Hobart.
- Explore Bruny Island.
- Enjoy Cataract Gorge Reserve just a few minutes from the center of Launceston.
- Enjoy the stunning views at the Bay of Fires.
- Explore Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park on a scenic walk. If time is short, you can visit on a day trip from Launceston. Read more about Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park here.
Victoria Bucket List
- Visit Melbourne.
- Take a photo in front of the colorful Brighton Bathing Boxes near Melbourne.
- Drive the Great Ocean Road (one of the best road trips of the world). If you prefer not to drive, you can book a day tour from Melbourne.
- Drive the Silo Art Trail, to see large-scale murals painted on the silos by world-renown artists in rural Victoria.
- Explore Grampians National Park. You visit on a day tour from Melbourne.
- Go wine tasting at Yarra Valley. You can book a day tour from Melbourne.
- Enjoy panoramic views from Wilsons Promontory. You can book a day tour from Melbourne.
- See the famous Phillip Island Penguin Parade, where you can watch a large colony of penguins waddle from the sea to their burrows at sunset. It gets busy so it is best to purchase tickets in advance.
- Visit Raymond Island, a small island off the coast from Paynesville, and one of the best places to see koalas in the wild.
Western Australia Bucket List
- Visit Perth, the capital of Western Australia.
- Explore Rottnest Island. You can book a day tour from Perth.
- Enjoy the sunset and the starry sky in the Pinnacles Desert. You can book a Sunset & star-gazing tour.
- Meet the koalas and kangaroos of Yanchep National Park.
- Surf down the Lancelin Sand Dunes.
- Explore Ningaloo Coral Reef.
- Visit Wave Rock, one of Western Australia’s most popular natural landmarks which resembles a giant ocean wave.
- Explore Karijini National Park, full of gorges, waterfalls and natural swimming holes.
- Visit Cable Beach, a white sand beach near Broome. You can do a camel tour on the beach.
- Meet the endangered Australian sea lions of Jurien Bay Marine Park, a 2.5-hour drive from Perth. Click here to book a boat trip and snorkeling excursion.
- See stingrays in Hamelin Bay, a beautiful white sandy beach with sparkling crystal clear waters.
So there you have it – the ultimate Australia bucket list. If there is an experience or place you think I should include please let me know in the comments below!
Need more travel inspiration? Check out some of my other travel bucket lists below:
- The Ultimate Southeast Asia Bucket List: 100+ Things to Do
- The Ultimate USA Travel Bucket List: 100+ Best Places to Visit in USA
- The Ultimate Europe Bucket List: 100+ Things to Do
- Africa Bucket List: 50 Things to Do and Places to Visit
- South America Bucket List: 50+ Things to Do and Places to Visit
- 10 Hotels That Should Be on Your Bucket List!
- Travel Goals: 100 Things to Do Before You Die
Like this post? Pin it!