Planning a trip to Australia and not sure where to start? I’ve got you covered with this epic guide containing 50+ of the best things to do and places to visit which are perfect for any Australian Travel Bucket List. Some of these are places I have visited and things I have experienced myself and the rest are places, experiences and adventures that I have researched and added to my personal Australia bucket list.
Australia Travel Bucket List Ideas
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a booking after clicking on these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you).
Australian Capital Territory Bucket List
- Visit Canberra, the capital city of Australia. It is only a 3 hour drive from Sydney.
New South Wales Bucket List
- See the iconic Sydney Opera House. It is incredible from the outside but I recommend a tour of the inside or experiencing an opera performance Read: 2 Days in Sydney: The Perfect Itinerary.
- Climb to the top of the Sydney bridge. This is a really popular activity so it is best to reserve in advance.
- Take a short ferry (approximately 30 minutes) from Circular Quay to Manly Beach for great views of the Sydney Harbour, Opera House and Bridge from the water.
- Spend a few hours at Bondi Beach, the most famous beach in Australia.
- Do the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk, one of the most beautiful and scenic walks in Sydney.
- Explore the spectacular Blue Mountains. You can easily visit on a day tour from Sydney.
- Relax in Byron Bay, Australia’s famous surf and arts town. Learn how to surf or go kayaking with dolphins.
- Visit Yamba, a small coastal town with beautiful beaches, which was voted #1 in Australian Traveller’s Best Towns in Australia list.
- Enjoy the laidback, hippy vibe of the alternative town of Nimbin.
Northern Territory Bucket List
- See Ayers Rock (Uluru) at sunset. Visitors are no longer be allowed to climb Uluru but you can walk around the base or do a helicopter tour.
- Visit Kings Canyon. You can follow the rim of the canyon along the 3-hour circuit walk and descend into the green oasis of the ‘Garden of Eden’. You can visit on a day tour from Ayers Rock Resort.
- Hike around the soaring rock domes of Kata Tjuta / The Olgas at sunset and watch them glow and change color with the surrounding desert landscape.
- See the Valley of the Winds, a 3 hour walk. Click here to book a tour.
- Visit Alice Springs (also known as “the Alice” or “Alice”). You can also enjoy the views of the outback on a balloon ride.
- Visit the West MacDonnell Ranges. Book a day tour from Alice Springs.
- Visit the historic town of Hermannsburg and its Aboriginal art collection.
- Visit Finke Gorge National Park and enjoy the beautiful rock formations of Palm Valley.
- Visit Darwin, the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory.
- Explore Litchfield National Park. You can visit on a day tour from Darwin.
- Explore the natural wilderness of the Katherine Gorge on a 14-hour scenic tour from Darwin.
- Explore Kakadu National Park.
Queensland Bucket List
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef.
- Explore Daintree National Park, the planet’s oldest surviving rainforest.
- Take the Kuranda Scenic Railway through the rainforest to Kuranda.
- Fly over the rainforest in Skyrail Rainforest Cableway. Pick up your combo pass for the Skyrail and Scenic railway here.
- Get close to koalas at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane, the world’s oldest and largest koala sanctuary.
- Visit Moreton Bay Marine Park, where bottlenose dolphins play and dugongs feed on sea grasses among the giant loggerhead turtles.
- Watch the spectacular sunrise on the beach with kangaroos and wallabies
at Cape Hillsborough.
- Visit Yeppoon a beachside destination which offers fun activities such as sailing and kayaking, the mysterious Capricorn Caves and the beautiful Great Keppel Island white sand and exceptional snorkelling.
- Go sandboarding at Tangalooma, Moreton Island.
- Visit Fraser Island known for its 75-mile long beach which is one of the longest in the world.
- Explore Whitehaven Beach in The Whitsundays, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with blue green waters and white sand.
South Australia Bucket List
- Visit Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia, and the fifth-most populous city of Australia. Read: 2 Days in Adelaide Itinerary & Travel Guide (According to a Local)
- Go wine tasting at the Barossa Valley Wine region.
- See wildlife, including koalas, wallabies and kangaroos, on Kangaroo Island.
- Explore the beautiful Eyre Peninsula. You can even swim with sea lions.
- Visit Coober Pedy, a small town that is mostly underground.
Tasmania Bucket List
- Enjoy the amazing views from the Wineglass Bay lookout at Freycinet National Park.
- Take a cruise on Wineglass Bay.
- Explore Hobart, the capital of Tasmania.
- Climb to the summit of Mount Wellington for panoramic views over Hobart.
- Explore the beauty of Mt. Field National Park. Don’t miss the famous Russell Falls.
- Visit Tasmanian Devils and hand feed kangaroos at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. You can visit on a half-day tour from Hobart.
- Explore Bruny Island.
- Enjoy Cataract Gorge Reserve just a few minutes from the center of Launceston.
- Enjoy the stunning views at the Bay of Fires.
- Explore Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park on a scenic walk. If time is short, you can visit on a day trip from Launceston. Read more about Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park here.
- See the Southern Lights. Join the Aurora Australis Tasmania Facebook group for real time sightings and alerts.
Victoria Bucket List
- Visit Melbourne.
- Take a photo in front of the colorful Brighton Bathing Boxes near Melbourne.
- Drive the Great Ocean Road (one of the best road trips of the world). If you prefer not to drive, you can book a day tour from Melbourne.
- Drive the Silo Art Trail, to see large-scale murals painted on the silos by world-renown artists in rural Victoria.
- Explore Grampians National Park. You visit on a day tour from Melbourne.
- Go wine tasting at Yarra Valley. You can book a day tour from Melbourne.
- Enjoy panoramic views from Wilsons Promontory. You can book a day tour from Melbourne.
- See the famous Phillip Island Penguin Parade, where you can watch a large colony of penguins waddle from the sea to their burrows at sunset. It gets busy so it is best to purchase tickets in advance.
- Visit Raymond Island, a small island off the coast from Paynesville, and one of the best places to see koalas in the wild.
Western Australia Bucket List
- Visit Perth, the capital of Western Australia.
- Explore Rottnest Island. You can book a day tour from Perth.
- Meet the endangered Australian sea lions of Jurien Bay Marine Park, a 2.5-hour drive from Perth. Click here to book a boat trip and snorkeling excursion.
- Enjoy the sunset and the starry sky in the Pinnacles Desert. You can book a Sunset & star-gazing tour.
- Meet the koalas and kangaroos of Yanchep National Park.
- Surf down the Lancelin Sand Dunes.
- Explore Ningaloo Coral Reef.
- Visit Wave Rock, one of Western Australia’s most popular natural landmarks which resembles a giant ocean wave.
- Explore Karijini National Park, full of gorges, waterfalls and natural swimming holes.
- Visit Cable Beach, a white sand beach near Broome. You can do a camel tour on the beach.
- Explore The Kimberley one of the oldest and largest wilderness landscapes in the world and one of the most remote regions in Australia to see wildlife, majestic canyons, freshwater swimming holes and several outback stations.
- Explore Cape Le Grand National Park – the highlight is Lucky Bay famous for its beautiful white sand beach and friendly kangaroos.
- See stingrays in Hamelin Bay, a beautiful white sandy beach with sparkling crystal clear waters.
So there you have it – the ultimate Australia bucket list. If there is an experience or place you think I should include please let me know in the comments below!
Need more travel inspiration? Check out some of my other travel bucket lists below:
- World Travel Bucket List: 100 Things to Do Before You Die
- Southeast Asia Bucket List: 100+ Things to Do
- USA Travel Bucket List: 125+ Best Places to Visit in USA
- Europe Bucket List: 100+ Things to Do
- Africa Bucket List: 50 Things to Do and Places to Visit
- South America Bucket List: 50+ Things to Do and Places to Visit
- 10 Hotels That Should Be on Your Bucket List!
Like this post? Pin it!