Montego Bay is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Jamaica, and it has all the makings of the perfect tropical vacation: the island of Jamaica nestled in clear blue waters, white-sand beaches, a lively music scene, and some of the most glorious sunsets you’re going to see in your life.
Montego Bay truly is a paradise, but with so much to do and see, planning out your trip can be a daunting task, especially for first-time visitors. This guide is meant to help you plan out your trip, so that you spend more time actually enjoying your vacation than stressing over what to do next. Here are some important things to consider:
When to Visit
Temperatures in Jamaica range from 75.2F in January to 89.6F in July. Temperatures remain comfortable for the rest of the year, which makes it ideal for visitors to relax on the beaches. Its tropical climate means that heavy fall and hurricanes should be expected during Fall.
Another factor to consider is price. MoBay vacations usually cost around $530 USD to about $1800 USD on average, but these prices tend to spike during high-traffic periods during December and March.
The most efficient point of entry into Montego Bay is through the Sangster International Airport which is located along MoBay’s shores. Visitors have the option to enjoy the Club MoBay VIP Arrival services which gives guests access to a private lounge complete with complimentary drinks and food as well as a spa. Charter airlines fly to MonBay all year.
Areas of Interest
There’s a good number of things to do in Montego Bay ranging from relaxing on the many beaches on the island, to experiencing the rich culture and its friendly people, to learning the history of the island. There are also plenty of resorts, hotels, and villas, such as Coconut Cottage, that can serve as your temporary home as you explore the area. Some key areas to visit are:
- Scotchies – Scotchies is the famous restaurant that serves the best jerk chicken on the island coupled with a cold Red Stripe, a traditional Jamaican side dish. This restaurant is located just 15 minutes away from the airport, which makes it an ideal place to grab a snack at any time of the day.
- Doctor’s Cave Beach – Doctor’s Cave Beach is a bathing club that’s found along the shores of MonBay. This beach is ideal for those staying in MonBay for a short visit and for those coming from the cruise port. The crystal-clear water is definitely worth experiencing and is at par with that of the best beaches in the Caribbean.
- Martha Brae River – The Martha Brae River is best known for its three mile river rafting trip and its green waters.
- Rick’s Cafe – Rick’s Cafe sits nicely atop one of the cliffs overlooking the turquoise waters, which makes it one of the best places to enjoy the Jamaican sunset. It is best known for its rum punch, live reggae music, cliff diving, and for having the most beautiful view of the sunset in the Caribbean.
- Rose Hall Great House – The Rose Hall Great House is one of the area’s top attractions for its history. The house is replete with 18th Century Colonial style art and furnishings, perfect for visitors who want to learn more about the Colonial history of one of the island’s legendary homes and the ghost that supposedly haunts it.
Montego Bay is only one of three major tourist hotspots in Jamaica. There are many other places and activities that make Jamaica a great place to visit. You might also want to look into Negril and the Ocho Rios.