Traveling to Hawaii and not sure what to pack? I have put together a complete Hawaii packing list with all the essentials you will need to bring for your Hawaiian vacation. I have also included recommendations on what to wear.
Hawaii Packing List
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Below is a comprehensive packing list for a trip to Hawaii.
Essentials for Hawaii
• Universal waterproof phone case – Keep smartphones dry with this waterproof case when hanging out at the beach or spending time in the water.
• Sunglasses – Sunglasses are essential for Hawaii. I prefer sunglasses with darker lenses since they offer the best UV protection.
• Hat – Make sure to bring one or more hats for sun protection. A packable floppy hat is a cute and stylish option for women for the beach or pool. Coolibar hats have excellent sun protection for both men and women.
• Reef Safe Sunscreen – Don’t forget to bring reef safe sunscreen with both UVA as well as UVB protection. Hawaii has banned the sale of sunscreen containing the coral-harming chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate.
• Lip balm with UV protection – Don’t forget your lips! Many people apply sunscreen but they overlook sun protection for their lips.
• Leave in conditioner or hair spray with UV protection – to protect your hair from the beach and sun.
• Reusable water bottle – I like this insulated water bottle because it keeps my water and other drinks cool.
• Wet Swimsuit Bag – A wet swimsuit bag is useful for packing wet bathing suits.
• Waterproof Dry Bag – If you are going to be kayaking or spending time in the water, you will need a waterproof dry bag for your belongings.
• Water shoes – To protect your feet from coral and sharp rocks on the beach.
• Rashguard – For sun protection when surfing, snorkeling etc.
• Snorkel Gear – You can rent snorkel gear, but some people (especially kids) might prefer their own.
What to Wear in Hawaii
• Swimsuits – Don’t forget to pack at least 1 or 2 or swimsuits.
• Sarong/kaftan/swimwear coverup for women – Bring at least one sarong, kaftan or swimwear cover up to wear over your bathing suit.
• Flip-flops – Havaianas flip flops are my favorite because they have great traction and don’t slip when walking on wet surfaces.
• Beach bag – A cute beach bag is a must for carrying your stuff at the beach or pool.
• Hiking shoes, shirts and pants – Hawaii has many beautiful hikes so bring your hiking gear.
Other things to wear in Hawaii:
• Dresses and skirts (maxi dresses are my favorite and are perfect for beach destinations)
• Lightweight pants
• Cardigan, fleece, hoodie or jean jacket – For air-conditioned places and cooler weather in the winter
• Bring warm clothes (close toed shoes, long pants, jacket, hat and gloves) if planning to see the sunrise at Haleakala in Maui. READ: Itinerary for 4 or 5 Days in Maui
• Underwear, bras and socks (ExOfficio underwear is great for travel because it is breathable, quick-drying fabric and odor-resistant)
• Jewelry and watches
• Purse for women
• Shoes (I recommend either casual sandals or comfortable flats for women for dining in the evening.)
Other Things to Bring for Hawaii
These travel essentials are not Hawaii specific but I am including them so you don’t forget:
• Drivers license, passport or other ID
• Cash, credit cards, ATM cards
• RFID blocking travel wallet to keep your ID, credit cards, airplane tickets and other travel documents organized.
• Face masks for flights, public transportation etc.
• Glasses, contacts, contact lens solution
• Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss
• Medication and prescriptions
• Antibacterial wipes or hand sanitizer
• Toiletries (makeup, lotion, deodorant, tissues, comb/brush, hair ties, small mirror, feminine products, cotton swabs, razors, shampoo/conditioner/soap)
• Body wipes to wipe off sweat
• First aid kit (band aids, pain reliever, allergy medicine, anti-nausea medicine, antacid tablets, charcoal tablets, qtips)
• Insect repellent
• Reading material – A waterproof kindle is great for the long flight to Hawaii or reading at the beach or pool. (If you need book suggestions, check out my list of the best travel books.)
• Noise cancelling headphones, eye mask and other carry on essentials for your long flight to Hawaii
• Electronics (smartphone, tablets, cords)
• Camera/photography gear (including memory cards, selfie stick/portable tripod)
• Bandana – A bandana is so versatile, you can use it to wipe off sweat or use as a scarf
• A quick drying travel towel
• Packing cubes
• Reusable shopping bag for carrying groceries or shopping for souvenirs
• TSA approved locks
• Notebook and pen
These are my travel essentials for Hawaii.