When you want to visit the theme parks of Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Studios or SeaWorld, meccas of pop culture, you understand why Orlando Airport is one of the busiest in the world and you get a clear idea of why millions of tourists choose this destination every year.
The distances to travel are long and no matter if you stay for a long or short time in the city, renting a car will always be the best option with which you can move at your own pace. Therefore, here I bring you the best tips to rent a car in Orlando! so you can get the best prices in the market.
What should you keep in mind to save money?
- It is essential that you can compare the best car rental companies in the market in order to guarantee the best price. That is why I recommend a recognized and reputable broker like Miles Car Rental, a portal where you will find hundreds of rental cars from the largest car rental agencies, so you can compare them and make the best choice according to what you need.
- The most advisable way to save money is to book well in advance the rental car. Take into account the date of your visit to Orlando and book your service as soon as possible. Depending on whether it is high or low season, prices and availability of the service may vary. Also, keep in mind that when you rent a car the daily cost is taken for a period of 24 hours, so I recommend that regardless of how many days you need to rent the car, the last day of your reservation, return it at the same hour you picked it up.
- The choice of the car is a determining factor in the final price, so it is best to keep in mind what your needs are and what type of car best suits them. Going for the economic lines is not always the solution, since they tend to be small cars that will not be useful in case of carrying a lot of luggage or if several people will get in. After all, it may be more expensive to upgrade at the counter than booking the car you need from the beginning.
Service details you should know
In addition to what I mentioned above, it is a good idea to include the following items in your budget. This way, you will be able to save your money while enjoying the wonders of Orlando.
- You must take into account that the car rental service is taxed and therefore you will be charged taxes for its use. The amount will depend mostly on the rental company and the car you choose to rent, which is another advantage of acquiring your service through a page like Miles Car Rental that will allow you to compare the different options you have and offer you the best prices.
- To pick up the car you must have a Rental Car Insurance (CDW-LDW) that covers damages in case of an accident. At this point you have 3 options:
- Acquire the one offered at the counter.
- To present your own insurance.
- Present your credit card insurance.
For the last one you must keep in mind that it is necessary that it covers you for a minimum amount of USD 75,000, otherwise the person at the counter may reject such insurance and you will have to purchase the one sold there.
The most advisable option is to purchase the one at the counter, in this way the rental company will be able to give you more direct assistance in case of any kind of accident in which you need to use this coverage.
This is why it is important that you take good care of the car, so you will not have to deduct anything from your budget and invest it in your adventure instead.
The requirements to use this service
It is important that you meet all the requirements for you to rent a car, these are:
- Be older than 25 years old.
- To have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- The reservation holder must have a credit card in his name and have sufficient funds to make the security deposit.
About the extra services you can purchase
At the counter you will find a wide range of services such as insurance for all kinds of possible eventualities, WiFi services or Premium Roadside Assistance. While they may seem very attractive, they do not come for free, so you will have to choose very carefully what you want or need and what you do not.
The best thing to do is to think first about your needs and what you might need in case you don’t have it. For example, if you have children you will have to use a special chair for them or, in case you do not know the area very well, a GPS will surely help you not to get lost.
Of all the services, there is one that is more advisable to acquire, it is the Third-Party Insurance (or Civil Liability), which protects you in case of claims made by a third party due to personal injury and / or property damage with the rented car. Normally, these have a coverage of up to USD $1,000,000, so it is a very good guarantee to have a greater peace of mind during your trip.
Keeping these details in mind will help you not to buy everything you are offered and only take what you really need. This way, you will save and invest in what is really necessary so that you will be more relaxed throughout your trip.
Some extra tips for your savings
At this point it’s only small details that you can save on your car rental and your trip, but in the end, they can make a difference. So, here are some saving tips to keep you from losing those extra dollars:
- When the car is delivered to you, check every detail very carefully to look for any flaws or damage to the vehicle. If by any chance the person at the counter missed any detail before, you may be charged for it when you return the car.
- Look for the fastest and not the shortest road on your route, sometimes the shortest route can also be the most crowded. Although it may not seem like much, you will save on gas.
- Take care of the tires, mirrors, glasses, windshield and car parts in general, since these are not covered by the Rental Car Insurance or the Third-Party Insurance. If you wish to protect them, you must purchase an extra insurance that does cover these parts.
- If you know you will be on the road for an extended period of time, it is a good idea to acquire the Electronic Road System to pay tolls without inconvenience.
Planning your Orlando itinerary
Now that you know how to get a great deal on a rental car in Orlando, there’s no reason not to take advantage of the parks and destinations you’ve always wanted to visit in this beautiful city. Planning your trip will allow you more time to enjoy all those destinations!
Or if your goal is bigger and you want to see the huge parks that Orlando has for you such as Walt Disney World Resort or Universal Studios, it is definitely better to plan what you want to visit. For Disney World alone, it is recommended to allocate between 5 and 8 days to have a more relaxed visit and enjoy the attractions. Universal Studios, on the other hand, we recommend two days to enjoy it to the fullest.
Visiting all the tourist destinations that Orlando has to offer is one of the most ambitious goals of traveling to this city and it is also very expensive, not only in terms of money but also in time. That is why thinking in advance about the places you will visit will help you to optimize your budget and even your time.
The more time you spend at each park, the higher the cost. But if your goal is to get the most out of your money, the best thing to do is to plan a strict itinerary and know what to visit and how much time you will spend there.
It is also important to measure the driving time between places, for sure you will want to drive the car at very high speeds, but remember that when renting a car, it is better to take things calmly and not expose yourself, your family or the car to any danger. The last thing you want is to have to pay extra costs for any eventuality with the car or for any infraction.
Have a nice trip!
If you follow these tips, you’re guaranteed to have a great trip. Renting a car will give a very special touch to your visit and will allow you to enjoy more of every place you visit in Orlando. With the help of your trusted broker, you will be able to book the car at the best price and have more fun with the tranquility of counting on a good service.
Remember to carefully choose the website with which you will acquire the service, rent the car in advance and choose the car according to the category that has the best price and best suits your needs.
Knowing that the only thing you have to pay for is the rental car insurance and the rental service, will allow you to choose the extra services that best fit your needs. Staying with the basics can be more expensive in the end, that is why it is preferable to invest a little more money so that you are as protected and calm as possible.
I hope this information has been very useful for you, I wish you a happy trip and a safe return home. I hope you enjoy everything Orlando has to offer; it is a wonderful city with many fun destinations.