Taking Your Motorhome Abroad – Essentials to remember

Campervan holidays are uniquely special experiences, individual to each holidaymaker and chock-full of once-in-a-lifetime experiences. There is so much to see, and it is often best seen on the road. People have been catching on recently, with motorhome travel and part-time ‘van life’ seeing a marked increase in popularity.


Caravan and motorhome trips can be cost-effective ways to see the world while allowing you to retain complete control of the pace and content of your trip. Travelling Europe by motorhome is quite simply an irreplaceable experience. But the UK’s departure from the EU has also resulted in some significant changes to the requirements for UK road users leaving the country; with Brexit having been completed at the beginning of 2021, UK drivers are now beholden to new rules and regulations relating to legal travel in EU countries.

If you’re hoping on undertaking a campervan trip to Europe, here are some of the more important things you need to know – from basics to new Brexit-related accommodations.

Legal Documentation

Ensuring you are legally covered when driving in Europe is essential. As with travel anywhere, you will need to bring your driving license and proof of ownership with you. You may also want to ensure you have proof of MOT with you, for the sake of safety.

You should also make sure you have a Green Card on hand for your motorhome; a Green Card is a document issued by your insurance company, that proves you have motorhome insurance and are covered for travel. It is important to note that Green Card requirements were upheld by the EU until August 2021, when they were scrapped; while you may no longer need a Green Card to legally travel in the EU, other European countries may still deem it necessary.

Display Sticker

Another result of the UK’s Brexit agreement with the EU is a change to the legal requirements surrounding ‘distinguishing marks’, or nationality displays. Before Brexit, it was necessary for vehicles to prominently display a sticker with ‘GB’ printed on it. Today, the designation is changed to ‘UK’. As such, GB stickers must be covered or removed entirely, and UK stickers displayed if your number plate does not already include such a distinguishing mark.


Lastly, there is a change you should make to your vehicle that many European holidaymakers find it easy to forget. Travel in other countries more often than not means driving on the opposite side of the road, requiring close attention to your driving and some essential changes to your vehicle itself – in particular, to your headlights.

Headlights are not symmetrically calibrated; the beam on your right-hand side is prevented from crossing over to the other lane, to avoid affecting visibility for other drivers. In Europe, driving on the right-hand side means your left-hand headlight could be dazzling motorists. As such, you need to recalibrate your headlights so as not to affect other drivers.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.