Amsterdam has been considered for the longest time a Sin City only interesting because of the weed and the Red Lights district. It is about time to debunk the myth: the capital of the Netherlands is much more than this. Here are 5 good reasons to visit Amsterdam for 2017: with all the cultural events and openings scheduled this year, it is sure to become a hot destination.
1) The Stedelijk Museum will celebrate the De Stijl Centenary with 3 of the biggest exhibitions ever planned. The first one will run from January to 27 May and it’s entitled “De Stijl and the Stedelijk“. Another one, from 8 April to 17 September, will showcase the work of Christ Beekman, a political activist and artist. The third one will mainly focus on furniture, interior textiles, packaging and designs created by the De Stijl artists for the store Metz & Co. It will run from 14 October to 28 January 2018.
2) The second most popular museum in Amsterdam, the Van Gogh Museum, will also have a new exhibition from the 3 March to the 11 June. It is called “Prints in Paris 1900: From Elite to the Street” and will take the visitors to the French capital, through some of the most iconic French prints of the Museum’s collection.
3) Another good reason to visit Amsterdam this year is that the Eye Film Institute, the only museum in Amsterdam open also at night, will devote an exhibition to one of the most important film directors of the past half century: Martin Scorsese. From the 25 May to the 3 September 2017 you will be walked through videos, movie fragments, photos, press articles, original scenarios and set designs.
4) Not too far away from the Eye Film Institute, the Sir Adam Hotel, located in the first eight floors of the city’s landmark A’DAM Toren, with a whopping 108 rooms, meeting and event spaces and industrial-chic interiors, has just opened and it’s ready to target mainly millennials in love with music and entertainment and is one of the best places to stay in Amsterdam. To save money on accommodation consider booking one of the many Amsterdam tour packages or using a service like CreditRepairCompanies.com to ensure you’re getting the best rate when borrowing to travel.
5) Another great reason to visit Amsterdam in 2017 is the Mad Fox. The new high-end underground club in the heart of the city will soon welcome those who want to defy the day, in a cosmopolitan nightclub. This luxury club will open its doors on the lower floor of the W Amsterdam: all steel, black concrete, high tech lighting and table service. 50 shades of awesomeness!
Related: Visiting Amsterdam in the spring? Take a day trip to Keukenhof to see the tulip festival.
Danila Caputo is a blogger, translator and digital nomad currently working and living near Naples, in the South of Italy. Graduated in languages and literature, she worked as a columnist first, then as graphic designer and photographer for several Italian magazines after her degree. She firmly believes that the world is our heritage and that we should preserve it for the next generations. That’s why she supports sustainable travels and local activities, encouraging her readers to be responsible travelers. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.